Features of the Kivy FrameworkLast Update : 28 Aug, 2022
In this tutorial, you will learn about the features of Python Kivy and its advantages and disadvantages.
As a mobile application and multi-touch application graphical user interface (GUI) software development platform, there are many interesting features included with Python Kivy.
These features are as follows :
- Kivy is free
- Kivy is flexible
- Visual effects and OpenGL
- UI features
- Gestures and Multi-touch
Kivy is free
Kivy is an open-source Python framework. And, it is completely free to use. Also, Kivy is distributed under the terms of the MIT License, and also, Kivy can run on Android, iOS, Linux, macOS, and Windows.
Kivy is flexible
Kivy is more flexible because it can adapt to new technologies quickly. Also, Kivy can run on various operating systems and devices such as Linux, Windows, Android, iOS, Mac OS, mobile phones, PC, Tablets, Raspberry Pi, etc.
Visual effects and OpenGL
Python PyGame has various modules such as dealing with colors, drawing shapes, and playing music. Python Kivy uses PyGame features to develop new game programs quickly.
There is a number of widgets and controls available with the Kivy framework. These widgets and controls are used to develop our mobile interface more beautiful and attractive.
These widgets and controls are used to design and develop the navigating gestures, one-handed usability, design elements, dark mode, and new animations.
Gestures and Multi-touch
Kivy provides a gesture library to record the user's gestures. Also, there are many widgets that support gestures and multi-touch in Kivy.
Kivy app can record gestures such as Right to left horizontal lines, Left to right horizontal lines, and Bottom to top vertical lines.
There are various modules included in Kivy to play videos and streams.
Kivy video player includes the command requirement of any video player such as Play button, Pause button, Stop button, and text. Also, The text is used to display messages or subtitles for video users.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Kivy
Advantages of Kivy
- Kivy provides well-documented APIs.
- You can design innovative user interfaces.
- Kivy provides support to multi-touch functionalities.
- Kivy performs better than HTML5.
- Kivy app runs on various platforms such as Windows, Linux, macOS, iOs, Android, and Raspberry Pi.
- You can run Kivy code on all supported platforms.
Disadvantages of Kivy
- Kivy is not always up-to-date with the latest Android APIs.
- Kivy community support is low.
- Kivy has a huge unnecessary package size.
- Lots of time-consuming to compile and build mobile apps.